Re: Unicode Search Engines

From: Andrew Cunningham (andrewc@mail.vicnet.net.au)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 20:16:05 EST

At 08:13 AM 2/19/02 -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
>Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>> So if some language turns out to need
>>> "a with horn" in the future, its readers will have to cross its fingers
>>> that rendering engines become capable of displaying U+0061 U+031B
>>> properly.
>>
>> Support for such arbitrary combination is apparently in the works in
>several
>> camps - it's needed in African languages for one.
>
>And judging from Marco's unrelated post about Yoruba q-tilde, in which I
>*did* see the tilde positioned correctly (more or less) over the q, I
>guess support is more advanced than I thought. Terrific.

Ummm ... may work for lower case ... if you're not fussy about precise
location of the diacritic , i suspect that the diacritic would overstrike
the uppercase character though

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Officer
Accessibility and Evaluation Unit, VICNET
State Library of VIctoria
Australia

http://www.openroad.net.au/

andrewc@mail.vicnet.net.au