Re: CRLF vs. LF (was Re: Unicode and end users)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 11:39:45 EST

From: "Lars Kristan" <lars.kristan@hermes.si>

> A - When writing, no CR characters will be written (unless read from a
> file). Many programs (like notepad) will not display such files correctly.
> It is a good question whether this is my problem or notepad's.

Yours -- since you are feeding it files that it does not accept the format
of? Obviously notepad is not a tool for you -- try IE. :-)

> B - When reading, I will get CR characters which are not handled anywhere
in
> my current code. Of course this only happens when reading files that were
> written 'the old way'.

Well, again that would be you.

The problem here is that you are looking at UNIX defaults and seeing how
poorly Windows handles them -- but that is why Windows is not UNIX. Each has
its own defaults, and only the people who wish to straddle the two worlds
will hit problems here....

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/