Re: Private Use Agreements and Unapproved Characters

From: Sampo Syreeni (decoy@iki.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:44:23 EST

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Michael Everson wrote:

>Klingon users don't use the script for anything but decorative gifs on
>their web sites, so Klingon was rejected.

Known and understood. I brought it up mainly because it *is* a writing
system, it *could* be used, and if we bring in practical/commercial
considerations, they imply it *should* be encoded, quite irregardless of
whether it's actually being used. Call it pointing out a partial failure
of my own argument, if you will.

>Tengwar users use the script for more things than half the scripts on
>the SMP roadmap are used for. They study manuscripts and write new texts
>in lots of languages in them. Nobody does that in Meroitic, now.

Quite. If Tengwar isn't encoded, future synthetic scripts won't likely
have a chance.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111