Re: Talk about Unicode Myths...

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 12:11:53 EST

On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 09:44 AM, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Only slightly more seriously, I imagine it would be possible to examine
> the top-level domain and:
>
> (1) if .cn, .tw, .hk, .sg, .mo --> display URL with Chinese glyphs
> (2) if .jp --> display URL with Japanese glyphs
> (3) otherwise punt (browser's choice)
>
> IDNs are one place where *even I* would not suggest Plane 14 language
> tags for glyph selection.

This doesn't reflect, however, what actual Japanese users want (or, at
least, would find acceptable). The correct algorithm is to display kanji
with Japanese glyphs if at all possible.

Again, the typographic tradition in Japan is to write kanji with Japanese
glyphs *even* when Chinese is the language being written.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/