mnemonic input

From: Theo Veenker (Theo.Veenker@let.uu.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 04:28:09 EST

Hi all,

Suppose I want to enable mnemonic input in my software. Using
mnemonics allows one to write e' (of course embedded in some
escape sequence) instead of \u00e9 or é Which sets of
mnemonics are being used or should I use? I found the ISO-10646
charmap file which gives "mnemonic.ds symbolnames", but I can
find no further references. I suppose only a minimal set of
mnemonics is really useful, because to me it seems almost
impossible to remember them all even though there's logic
behind the construction of mnemonics.

My questions are:
- Which mnemonic sets are available and actually used by people?
- Are there any recommended escape sequences to enter a mnemonic
  (like &name; does for SGML character entity names)?
- Does it make sense to use mnemonics for ideographic scripts?
- Is support for input of full unicode character names (as I
  believe is supported in perl) considered useful?

Thanks,

Theo