Re: CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B

From: J Do (jdo@pacificlinks.org)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 08:10:41 EDT

Hi William,

> I have been looking at the characters in the CJK Unified Ideographs
> Extension B document. These are the characters from U+020000 through to
> U+02A6DF, which, as I understand it, are the rarer CJK characters.
>
> I wonder if any of the people who read this list who understand the
> languages involved might please like to say what any one or two of these
> characters, of their choice, mean please, just as a matter of general
> cultural interest for people who see these characters in the Unicode
> specification and, though not themselves knowledgeable of the languages,
> find the characters interesting for their artistry and history.

Many of the characters in CJK Extension B belong to the classical Nôm script of Việt Nam. There is a brief explanation at:

http://nomfoundation.org/projects/index.php?t=yesterday

plus you can explore them at:

http://nomfoundation.org/unicode/lookup.php

which has additional links into the unicode.org UniHan database. To effectively use the second URL, what you'll need is the SVG plugin for your browser.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
James