RE: Bengali script - where is "khanda ta"?

From: Dhrubajyoti Banerjee (dhrub@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 07:29:29 EDT

Hi,
     ISCII uses the halant in the way Apurva has described. Bangla(Bengali)
script originally uses conjunct forms only. Distinct half-forms have crept
into the script only in recent times[possibly due to typographical
constraints e.g. I have seen the word tax written as 'Ta' + 'ka' +
'hasanta'(Bengali for halanta) + 'sa']. If "khanda-ta" is not used and the
conjunct form is not available then it has become customary for applications
to show a small ta at the top succeeded by the joining character(in case of
ta + hasanta + character) and a bottom small ta(in case of character +
hasanta + ta). It is still application dependent on whether to use conjuncts
or "character+hasanta" format. Though I myself do not know of any place
where "ta+hasanto" can occur as a single form. If it is not forming a
conjunct, it should be displayed as a "khanda-ta".
    I think Somnath's queries are answered. The 'khanda-ta'appears in the
font, not in the code page. When required, it is displayed by the software.
This saves collation problems for the developer(which you will find is in
the case of ka+nukta etc in Devanagari, both ka and nukta appearing
separately too).
    I think at least the Khanda-ta problem should be clarified in the FAQ,
as this has been a recurring question. Another ,debated half-form has
already been handled in the FAQ. Namely the jophola(zophola).
the Unicode and ISCII approaches are inherently the same as far as I think.

regards,
Dhrubajyoti