Re: Unicode vs Code pages

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 14:10:06 EDT

Chris,

There are two important reasons why code pages are still needed:

1) Many applications do not yet support Unicode, and those applications
still need to work properly (imagine trying to sell an OS where your
favorite apps would not install and run?).

2) Many people with whom you may want to communicate may not yet be using
Unicode -- so you have to be able to convert to connect to these other
people.

It is present as a LEGACY feature, though. AT the heart of it all is
Unicode, at this point.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/