Re: How is UTF8, UTF16 and UTF32 encoded?

From: i18nGuy Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 15:52:12 EDT

See http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr19/
for utf-32 description.

The Unicode standard is online, you can find the descriptions of utf-8,
utf-16 in there.
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/u2.html

hth
tex

"Theodore H. Smith" wrote:

> I need to know exactly how UTF8, UTF16 and UTF32 is encoded. I heard
> that UTF32 can have surrogates, so I can't just expect them
> to be scalar values.
>
> Having a nice detailed and clear explanation would help, with
> plenty of examples and effects of the encoding and all kinds of
> things to make it easier to understand would help.
>
> Or perhaps I'm just reacting to the confusion of the UniCode
> website and its not that hard to understand and a simple definition
> would do? But the first idea certainly wouldn't hurt.
>
> --
> Theodore H. Smith - Macintosh Consultant / Contractor.
> My website: <www.elfdata.com/>

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex@i18nGuy.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World
What's wrong with locales?
http://www.i18nguy.com/locales/index.html

Spam marketing is like fishing by dropping heavy rocks in the water, hoping it will land on one. Mostly it moves fish to less disturbed waters.