Re: How is UTF8, UTF16 and UTF32 encoded?

From: i18nGuy Tex Texin (
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 15:52:12 EDT

for utf-32 description.

The Unicode standard is online, you can find the descriptions of utf-8,
utf-16 in there.

"Theodore H. Smith" wrote:
> I need to know exactly how UTF8, UTF16 and UTF32 is encoded. I heard
> that UTF32 can have surrogates, so I can't just expect them
> to be scalar values.
> Having a nice detailed and clear explanation would help, with
> plenty of examples and effects of the encoding and all kinds of
> things to make it easier to understand would help.
> Or perhaps I'm just reacting to the confusion of the UniCode
> website and its not that hard to understand and a simple definition
> would do? But the first idea certainly wouldn't hurt.
> --
> Theodore H. Smith - Macintosh Consultant / Contractor.
> My website: <>

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898
Xen Master
Making e-Business Work Around the World
What's wrong with locales?

Spam marketing is like fishing by dropping heavy rocks in the water, hoping it will land on one. Mostly it moves fish to less disturbed waters.