Re: Manchu/Mongolian in Unicode

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 10:45:56 EDT

    On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 12:26 PM, Tom Gewecke wrote:

    > The latest Mac OS X upgrade has fonts that include the classic
    > Mongolian/Manchu range, 1800-18AF.

    Well, yes, but they're not ready for prime time. They're included
    because of PRC requirements which expect the glyphs but don't really
    insist that they "do the right thing." The same is true of Tibetan.
    Even the PRC's own fonts have this problem. This is an unfortunate
    bind we were put in and I hope we can correct it in a not-too-distant
    release.

    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com