Long S on keyboard (was: Character identities)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 12:06:37 EDT

    Doug Ewell wrote:

    > I'm not aware of any keyboard layout, German or otherwise, that contains
    > U+017F. Would it be reasonable to suggest that it be added to the
    > standard German layout? AltGr+s seems to be available.

    It would certainly not hurt to have it there.

    Fraktur, and Long-s, are not much used, these days. So, there will be
    not much demand for a long-s key -- though it would come handy for some
    kinds of usage, e. g. modern advertising, or reproducing texts from
    before ~1950 (cf. <http://www.gutenberg2000.de/>).

    Most German Fraktur fonts currently available seem to have particular,
    proprietary encodings. A standardized Long-s key would certainly help
    to promote Unicode amongst Fraktur font designers.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz