Re: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 11:40:48 EST

    On 11/07/2002 04:27:32 AM "William Overington" wrote:

    >I may argue a point if I consider it right to do so, but I do not argue
    >something just for the sake of arguing...

    I didn't mean to suggest that you do.

    >Once. A notification in a dialogue box that the problem exists

    You're assuming there is a problem. If I send you a document and I wanted
    it to display in Comic Sans but you don't have that font on your system,
    so you end up seeing it in, say, Arial, does that merit a dialog box?
    Perhaps, but systems just aren't working that way, and there apparently
    hasn't been any great cry to make them do so. As for providing a
    notification dialog to say that the text contains < c, ZWJ, t > but that
    the font doesn't support it, there are no existing mechanisms to support
    that at present, but it hasn't been demonstrated that there really is any
    need, and I really don't expect vendors will be hearing too many
    complaints from users.

    >Thank you for explaining the matter about the TrueType fonts.

    You're welcome.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>