Re: A .notdef glyph

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:23:11 EST

    At 05:26 11/7/2002, Michael Everson wrote:

    >Please don't. William, no one really wanted you to make a .notdef glyph.
    >John was pulling your leg. Sorry I responded to the matter. Please don't
    >waste your time and ours by writing up a case history.

    I was indeed pulling his leg, but I also knew that he would actually go off
    and do it. He's that personality type.

    By the way, on the subject of copyright, the design is pretty much useless
    if it is copyrighted, so if William wants anyone to use his design he
    should make a formal declaration of deposit in the public domain. I'm
    afraid, if he is hoping that people might pay him a license fee, he's out
    of luck. Even if his design were the most excellent .notdef glyph possible,
    every type designer would still presume that he or she could design a
    better one, especially if using William's required them to pay.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467