Re: A .notdef glyph

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:04:19 EST

    At 23:23 11/6/2002, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >John forgot to mention this, but Michael is right: the glyph has to
    >signify "not defined" or "glyph not supported" in some way.

    Sorry, I thought that was clear from my comments and from the context of
    the discussion. For examples of some common .notdef glyphs as recommended
    by Microsoft and Adobe, see
    http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/opentype/recom.html. These
    recommendations were drawn up specifically to discourage use of arbitrary
    decorative forms, such as the spiral in Palatino Linotype, which are not
    obviously indicating a problem in a document. Of course, establishing and
    reinforcing a convention is necessary, and building on the existing
    convention (box, box with something in it...) is better than trying to
    invent a new convention.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467