Re: Entering Plane 1 characters in XP

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 12:56:40 EST

    Andrew, it is definitely a requirement for some applications.
    However, it would not be surprising if applications overtime have made
    themselves independent of the registry entry.

    I do know that to view my plane 1 example web page with IE, the registry
    needed to be set on both win 2k and win xp.
    http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example-plane1.html

    If I get some time later I'll play with unsetting it and see what
    happens now.
    tex

    "Andrew C. West" wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:55:37 -0800 (PST), Tex Texin wrote:
    >

    > > XP requires the registry change as well.
    >
    > I think the whole Registry thing is a red herring. I've never had to set the
    > registry to see surrogates under Windows 2K or XP. I've even deleted the
    > specified registry keys, and surrogates are still shown OK in IE, Notepad, Word
    > etc.
    >
    > BTW, any application that uses Uniscribe can display surrogates just fine under
    > Windows 9x as well as 2K and XP.
    >
    > Andrew

    Making e-Business Work Around the World