RE: Entering Plane 1 characters in XP

From: John McConnell (johnmcco@windows.microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 12:41:54 EST

    Concerning display, there are two separate registry settings:
            - in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you can set a registry value to cause Uniscribe to load (Uniscribe is required to display supplementary characters). Alternatively, you could install any of the language packs that require Uniscribe. The only difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP in this regard is that XP installs Uniscribe for East Asian languages, whereas 2000 installed it only for complex scripts.
            - Windows XP added a feature to provide font-linking for supplementary characters if Uniscribe is loaded. There are 16 registry values, each of which designates a font for a plane. Although the mechanism exists, none of the registry values are set in Windows XP. Without this registry value set, you must explicitly select the font which contains the glyphs for the supplementary characters. The registry value for Plane 1 is:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\Plane1

    Windows 2000 and Windows XP will otherwise treat supplementary characters identically e.g. sorting by code point order.

    John
    Global Infrastructure