Re: Speaking of Plane 1 characters...

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 17:47:27 EST

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > >The scale in question is analogous to a temperature scale, not a
    > >reptilian one.
    >
    > Now I very *seriously* don't get it.

    A temperature scale enumerates the degrees -273, -272, -271, ..., 0, 1, 2, ...
    in order. When you ask "What is the temperature?", you are actually asking
    "What is the scalar value of the temperature?"

    The Unicode scale enumerates the characters 0, 1, 2, ... 10FFFF. Unicode
    scalar values are points on this scale, just as temperature scalar values
    are points on the (Celsius) temperature scale.

    --
    Winter:  MIT,                                   John Cowan
    Keio, INRIA,                                    jcowan@reutershealth.com