Re: Morse code

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:05:19 EST

    On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 04:49:32AM -0800, Andrew C. West wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 04:41:58 -0800 (PST), Radovan Garabik wrote:
    >
    > > Moreover, Morse characters are distinct logical entities, primary
    > > representation of them is audible
    >
    > Precisely. So for example ..- is pronounced "dot dot dash" (three distinct
    > logical entities) not "u".

    well, it depends... it is pronounced /u/ in Slovak, /ju:/ in English,
    /y/ in French
    Let's take a better example, "glyph"[1] whose audible representation
    could be transscribed as --.-
    It covers two distinct logical characters, one is latin "Q"
    and the other cyrillic "Ш"
    This is a direct analogy to visual glyphs, e.g. glyph that looks
    like a half-circle covers two distinct characters, namely
    U+0043 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C and U+0421 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER ES

    [1] I used the word glyph because I do not know how to call
    the acoustic equivalent of our visual glyph

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |