[OT] Curious about persian page numbers (was RE: ISIRI 6219:2002)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 08:50:04 EST

    Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
    > We just got our hand on the published copy of the Iranian National
    > Standard
    >
    > ISIRI 6219:2002 Information Technology -- Persian Information
    > Interchange and Display Mechanism, using Unicode
    >
    > It is dated November 2002, and is about viii+33 pages.

    I confess that I downloaded the document only because I was curious about
    numbering of the first viii pages...

    This is what the page numbers look like:

    ..."???", "?", "?", "?", "?"

    I guess that the name of the letter "?" ("alif") is spelled out in full to
    avoid confusion with page "?" (digit "1").

    (Thinking of it, this is the probably also the reason why Roman numerals in
    page numbers are lowercase: to avoid confusing pages I and II with pages 1
    and 11.)

    I notice that also letters "?", "?", "?" ("miim", "ha", and "`ayn") look
    similar, respectively, to digits ?" ("2", "5" and "4"). Are these letters
    spelled out in full as well?

    _ Marco