Re: The result of the plane 14 tag characters review.

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:53:39 EST

    On 11/17/2002 10:18:58 PM "Doug Ewell" wrote:

    >What about the other applications for language tagging mentioned in RFC
    >3066 and in my Plane 14 paper, like spelling and grammar checking and
    >speech synthesis? Should these be available only for fancy text?

    One could use this line of argumentation to suggest the need for lots of
    metadata being incorporated into the plain text via plane 14 characters.
    For instance, do we use plane 14 characters to document the usage context
    in order to know what grammar / style checking rules to apply? It's all
    metadata. It certainly wouldn't make sense to suggest that *all* metadata
    being included in plain text, and I don't really see why *any* is needed.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>
    .