ISO 10464, Unicode & The FAQ

From: Andy White (Andy__White@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 15:34:59 EST

    Is the Unicode FAQ officially part of the Unicode standard? If not why not?

    In the reply given by ISO/IEC 10646 JTC1/SC2/WG2 to the Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution, regarding the inclusion of Bengali Letter Khanda Ta into 10464, There response was that Khandata can be encoded as:
    "TA (U+09A4 ) + Bengali Virama (U+09CD) + ZWNJ (U+200C) + Following Character(s), to be able to separate the KHANDATA from forming a conjunct with the Following Character(s)." (Which is the same sequence as I have proposed to this list.)
    But I doubt that this statement was ever incorporated into the ISO/IEC10646 itself.

    The Unicode FAQ however states that Khandata should be encoded with a ZWJ.

    This could lead to the situation that Bangladesh (who follow may 10464) are encoding this letter one way, and India (having followed of Unicode) an other

    I recommend that Unicode and 10464 formulate a list. And add to such a list whenever they make a recommendation regarding the encoding of a letterform. Further more, such a list should become part of the relevant standard.

    Andy