Re: Languages A-Z

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 05:28:23 EDT

    John Cowan schreef:

    > > (* Dutch, English and Latin occasionally use non-ASCII
    characters, but they
    > > not needed in basic orthography).
    >
    > I had understood that E WITH DIAERESIS was required in Dutch.

    Yes, and some other letters with diaereses and circumflexes. But
    those are not part of our "basic" alphabet, and most of the time, we
    hardly notice if an accent mark is missing, even though formally a
    missing accent mark may result in a different word (a bit like the
    difference between resume and résumé in English), which is a rare
    occasion anyway.

    Pim Blokland