RE: Complex Combining

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 05:17:20 EST

    Of course, one really important point is that Unicode text should remain
    stateless. It would be foolish indeed if, starting from an arbitrary
    point in the string, one had to parse backwards and forwards to see if
    there were any invisible brackets. In the extreme, one would have to
    scan the entire document, and this would be /highly/ undesirable (to say
    the least). In other words, whilst I do think that invisible brackets
    are a very good idea, their use should be limited to disambiguating
    potential ambiguities, and for creating ligated or multi-glyph "base
    characters" to which modifiers could be applied. Simply put, if a
    renderer starts from a random point in the string, it should either
    completely ignore the problem (and ignore any unmatched
    invisible-close-bracker), or parse backwards by a fixed limited number
    of characters. This would effectively prevent the use of invisible
    brackets as "fake markup".

    Presumably, the same problem (that of remaining stateless) is created by
    the music characters (/e.g./ U+1D173..1D174 MUSICAL SYMBOL BEGIN
    BEAM..END BEAM). That is, if a renderer starts in the middle of the
    string and encounters an END BEAM, how far back is it required to parse
    in order to find the BEGIN BEAM before deciding that it's unmatched?

    Just my thoughts. Despite the objection I just raised, I still like the
    invisible brackets idea, and still think it's a good one.

    I further think that a renderer ought to be allowed to interpret
    <invisible open bracket><some musical notes><invisible close
    bracket><musical symbol end beam> as completely equivalent to <musical
    symbol begin beam><some musical notes><musical symbol end beam>. This
    would be a start toward a consistent approach, whilst also retaining the
    legacy method.

    Jill