Fwd: Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 07:25:50 EST

    Dear Doug, All,

    > BTW, your "Unicode test page" is marked:
    > content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

    This is of course redundant as this is the HTTP default.
    The heading 'Unicode' means the logical content, not the
    encoding. The Tamil content is given as hex NCRs.

    > while your TSCII test page is marked "x-user-defined".

    As the legacy Tamil charsets are not IANA registered, Tamil
    users typically have a TSCII font set up for the display
    of "x-user-defined"pages.

    > I'm not sure
    > what either of those declarations accomplishes.

    Hope, I could clarify this.

    > [..] Display engines
    > need to do a better job of applying style to individual reordrant
    > glyphs, that's all.

    I fully agree with this, Do you know any display engine which is capable
    of this?

    > > It's hard to promote Unicode, when things that have worked in the
    > > past, stop working.
    >
    > This is alarmist and unnecessary.

    This is born out of sheer frustration. I was arguing for weeks on some
    mailing
    lists, that programmatic conversion to Unicode is easy and no features are
    lost.
    Now a very simple point I forgot to think about hit me.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi