Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 06:25:40 EST

    On 08/12/2003 15:51, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >Peter Kirk writes:
    >

    >>Agreed. But now we are told that the latter is illegal XML because a
    >>combining mark is not permitted (by XML, not by Unicode) after <span>.
    >>

    >It is not forbidden by XML. It's just that handling a XML file (which is not
    >plain-text) as if it was a Unicode plain-text when performing normalization
    >of the file may produce unexpected composition of characters which are part
    >of the XML syntax.

    Philippe, you have now stated this (several times). But just a day
    earlier you yourself stated that the rule forbidding combining marks at
    the start of a string would never be relaxed because it is fundamental
    to the XML containment model. You don't usually contradict yourself
    quite so obviously.

    Anyone, please, is it or is it not true that XML forbids, or will forbid
    in future versions, combining characters immediately after markup?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)