RE: [OT] CJK -> CJC (Re: Corea?)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 06:36:37 EST

    Marco Cimarosti wrote:
    > Doug Ewell wrote:
    > > I'll go farther than that. It's always bothered me that speakers of
    > > European languages, including English but especially French, have seen
    > > fit to rename the cities and internal subdivisions of other countries.
    >
    > Rightly said!
    >
    > There is reason to rename "Colonia" to "Köln", "Augusta" to "Augsburg",
    > "Eboraco" to "York", "Provincia" to "Provence", and so on.

    Or even "Aix-la-Chapelle" to "Aachen" because that's its _current_ German
    name (the French name was official in the history, and is still used in
    French).

    Cities sometimes change name, some of theme being famous like the _current_
    Saint-Pétersbourg (French name revived in Russia with just a
    transliteration, the Latin transcription being also widely used by Russians)
    which has also been Léningrad or Pétrograd or Stalingrad (in the Latin
    transliteration of the official and changing Russian script name, this Latin
    transliteration changing a bit among various languages which used them), and
    even Saint-Pétersbourg officially for some time in the tsar's Russia.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com