Re: American English translation of character names

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 09:01:36 EST

    Arcane Jill scripsit:

    > In fact, until Kenneth Whistler's email about American English - I
    > actually thought the Unicode character names /were/ in American English,
    > because they are certainly not in my native dialect (although I did know
    > that most Americans don't say "full stop").

    My father and I never could convince my mother (native German speaker
    who immigrated to the U.S. at age 12) that the football (i.e. American
    rugby) player she dated in high school was a "fullback" and not a
    "full stop".

    > Rest assured, Kenneth, we in
    > Britain do /not/ refer to slash as "solidus", underscore as "low line",
    > backslash as "reverse solidus", paragraph sign as "pilcrow sign", and so
    > on.

    "Solidus" is probably the most interesting one: it's Latin for "shilling",
    and until 1971 the usual way of writing "six shillings eightpence" was
    6/8, i.e. "sex solidi octo denarii". In this use, the / descends from
    U+017F, the old "long s".

    "Underscore" would suggest rather U+0332, the combining low line. As
    for "pilcrow", it's probably descended from a perversion of "paragraph",
    but nobody knows for sure.

    The most mysterious term is "caron" for the hacek accent: this word
    seems to exist only in ISO standards, and nobody has any idea where it
    came from.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Original line from _The Warrior's Apprentice_ by Lois McMaster Bujold: