MIME-aware recode or iconv?

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 11:42:37 EST

    Is anybody aware of a Unix stdin/stdout application (suitable for
    piping) that converts a text stream from one character encoding to
    another based on its MIME headers (as you would find, for example, in
    an email message)? Applications such as iconv and recode need the
    source character set specified on the command line, but for reading
    email messages written in diverse character sets in a plain-text
    environment, it would be mighty handy to have the data stream
    automatically converted to a single character set such as UTF-8.

    I can program this myself if necessary (if I can ever find the time)
    but it would be easier to find something ready-made. I don't need or
    want a new mail client -- just a filter for displaying each message.

    - Frank