Re: Additional Consonents in Devnagari

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 11:26:12 EST

    eMantra Information wrote:

    > I have a question regarding certain charachers in devnagari unicode
    pages.

    > There are additional consonents क़ (U+0958) ,ख़ (U+0959) ,ग़(U+095A) ,
    > and ड़,ज़,ढ़,फ़,य़
    >
    > why separate code points are defined for these?
    >
    > when such can be formed by combination of क (U+ 0915) + ़ (U+093C)
    > = क़

    Probably for the same reason that precomposed Latin a-with-acute (á,
    U+00E1) is encoded even though it can be composed from U+0061 + U+0301:
    compatibility with legacy character sets.

    The Devanagari characters for which you gave code points have been in
    Unicode since at least version 1.1, so they were probably part of ISCII
    or some other legacy code page.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/