Re: Sample of german -burg abbreviature

From: Jörg Knappen (knappen@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 06:13:42 CST

    Peter Kirk schrieb:

    > This "semi-cyrillic" breve looks nothing like any of the real Cyrillic
    > breves I have seen. For a start I have never seen any unsymmetrical
    > ones. Is this unsymmetrical shape an regular part of this abbreviation?
    > In that case this might be a distinct character from a breve.

    Personally, I won't rate the special design too high -- alltho I found
    a more detailed map of Romania wich exhibits both a burg-abbreviature
    for Klausenburg (romanian: Cluj) and the romanian city Bezau with a with
    breve. The breve in the abbreviature is of the fancy >>semi-cyrillic<<
    shape, the one in Bezau is a vanilla breve. And there are very fancy
    commata below the romanian s and t.

    --J"org Knappen