Re: Roundtripping in Unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 16:46:39 CST

    From: "Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak@knm.org.pl>
    > "Arcane Jill" <arcanejill@ramonsky.com> writes:
    >> If so, Marcin, what exactly is the error, and whose fault is it?
    >
    > It's an error to use locales with different encodings on the same
    > system.

    More simply, I think that it's an error to have the encoding part of any
    locale... The system should not depend on them, and for critical things like
    filesystem volumes, the encoding should be forced by the filesystem itself,
    and applications should mandatorily follow the filesystem rules.

    Now think about the web itself: it's really a filesystem, with billions
    users, or trillion applications using simultaneously hundreds or thousands
    of incompatible encodings... Many resources on the web seem to have valid
    URLs for some users but not for others, until URLs are made independant to
    any user locale, and then not considered as encoded plain-text but only as
    strings of bytes.