RE: Roundtripping in Unicode

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 17:29:11 CST

            It doesn't, it is, and they do.

            The rule is "No zero, no eight".

            The problem is that these valid filenames can't all be translated as
    valid UTF-8 Unicode.

    > Now think about the web itself: it's really a filesystem,

            No. It isn't.

    > with billions users, or trillion applications using
    > simultaneously hundreds or thousands of incompatible
    > encodings... Many resources on the web seem to have valid
    > URLs for some users but not for others, until URLs are made
    > independant to any user locale, and then not considered as
    > encoded plain-text but only as strings of bytes.

            I thought that URLs were specified to be in Unicode. Am I mistaken?

    /|/|ike

    P.S. [OT} Note the below autoattachment. I recall that we discussed such
    clauses on the list some time ago with regard to their legal standing. Does
    anyone have a pointer to substantive material on the subject? I've gotten
    curious again, 'natch.

    "Tumbleweed E-mail Firewall <tumbleweed.com>" made the following
     annotations on 12/14/04 15:31:51
    This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.