RE: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 13:46:57 CST

    At 13:23 +0100 2004-12-31, Lars Kristan wrote:

    >I am not sure it is as simple as that. AFAIK, EU
    >is trying to enforce some rules about the Euro
    >spelling.

    Error 1: The word "euro" is not capitalized in
    English any more than "dollar" or "pound" are
    (except of course at the beginning of sentences).

    Error 2: The original Council Directive that the
    name of the currency should be the same in all
    languages except for the alphabet. This would
    prevent a country from deciding to call it
    "ducet" or "ecu" or "sheqel" or "mark".

    >Namely, they want it to always start with "EURO"
    >even if a certain country uses different
    >suffixes in declensions.

    Error 3: This was in order to preserve
    typographical simplicity on the banknotes.

    Error 4: It was the people in the Commission and
    in national governments themselves who botched
    this up and somehow it got taken that the words
    would be "immune" to natural orthography or
    grammar.

    >Similarly, I suppose EU might be wanting
    >Bulgaria to use Öìêé, since it transliterates to
    >EURO, while ÖÇêé transliterates to EVRO.

    Please see
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/euro-eora-en.pdf
    and
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/open-letter.pdf