Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 18:48:19 CST

    On 11/02/2005 23:58, Patrick Andries wrote:

    > Doug Ewell a écrit :
    >

    >> My question is, suppose I *want* to visit русский.com? Perhaps my
    >> browser should alert me, but it must not prevent me from visiting the
    >> site.
    >>

    > I wonder whether the browser should alert the user if he has mentioned
    > in his (HTTP) language preferences that, in practice, he does
    > understand Russian (in this case). Using the Locale is too
    > restrictive (only one locale at the time). Of course, a new set of
    > Browser parameters could be supplied "script preferences", but is it
    > really useful ?

    But this is in fact not the right question. русский.com (the non-spoofed
    one) may belong to a Russian multinational company with a multilingual
    website. Or I might be relying on an automatic translation service like
    Babelfish. Or the language preferences settings could be misleading,
    e.g. if I am using someone else's computer or an Internet cafe. So I
    could be wanting to visit this site even if I don't speak Russian, or
    the computer doesn't know that I do. In such circumstances an occasional
    alert might be acceptable, but not a general block.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)