Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMA LL LETTER SHARP S ("German s harp s", "ß" )

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 22:00:31 CST

    At 05:02 PM 2/17/2005, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >Asmus Freytag a écrit :
    >
    >>>I did not propose any solution to insure roundtrip between (lowercase)
    >>>ß <-> SS,....
    >>
    >>But that's precisely the reason why people are using non-standard
    >>spellings for words like PREßBURG. ...
    >
    >Hmm. I have my doubts about what those requirements would be for a sign in
    >front of travel agency written "PREßBURG REISEN", maybe ignorance and wish
    >to look very Germanic in Bratislava by using a characteristic ß. Also I
    >don't think there is a technical reason behind writing "GROßE HAUSMESSE"
    >on a poster.

    I realize that Karl's example is a better fit to my argument. I have
    appended it again at the end.

    >I have no problem with your proposal to use a <ß, FVS1>.

    Understood.

    A./

    PS: Karl had written:

    "ß" occurs in "Straße" (street) and therefore is a very common part
    of postal addresses. This fact gives opportunity to show how the
    uppercasing of "ß" is really handled by official bodies:
    E.g. in my car papers from 2004, issued by a communal authority,
    my street is printed "KANZLEISTRAßE".
    The Deutsche Post (German Post) requires forms (for new address
    after moving) to be filled in by all capital letters, but explicitly
    to write "ß" not "SS".