Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMA LL LETTER SHARP S ("German s harp s", "ß" )

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 07:11:09 CST

    On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:12:48PM +0100, Otto Stolz wrote:
    > Patrick Andries schrieb:
    > >Hmm. I have my doubts about what those requirements would be for a sign
    > >in front of travel agency written "PREßBURG REISEN", maybe ignorance and
    > >wish to look very Germanic in Bratislava by using a characteristic ß.
    >
    > Ignorance, definitely.

    Don't be so quick :-)

    > The current spelling is "Pressburg", according to
    > <http://www.ids-mannheim.de/reform/a1-2.html#P2>.
    > (This has been effective since 1998-08-01.)

    The current _name_ is "Bratislava". Even in German, it is preferred.
    "Pressburg" is used when you want to put an archaic flavour somewhere.
    Archaic being archaic, I would definitely prefer Preßburg. Anyway, it
    might be a name, and the agency might be certainly older than 1998.

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |