Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 21:07:20 CDT

    From: "Mete Kural"
    To: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:49 AM
    Subject: Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

    > >The information is there, in the data for cursor positioning data in the
    >>GPOS data for ligatures in the font.
    >
    > Hmm.. that's an interesting point. Although I did a little experiment and
    > cursor positioning data does not seem to give a reliable estimate as to
    > where the component character boundaries may lie within a ligature.

    > Do you know in what form this cursor positioning data is stored within the
    > font file? Is it basically an x-coordinate for where the cursor should be
    > positioned within the glyph?

    Yes and yes. However, it's in the GDEF table, not the GPOS table (faulty
    memory). For details, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/gdef.htm , especially Examples 4
    to 6. A font does not have to contain this data - if it is absent, the
    glyph will just be chopped up into portions of equal length. I think that
    is what has happened in your examples. I believe a y-value would be for
    vertical writing.

    Richard.