Re: Measuring a writing system "economy"/"accuracy"

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 02:18:29 CDT

    On Wednesday, June 29th, 2005 03:51Z Eric Muller wrote:

    > I suppose that IPA could be described as an efficient and accurate
    > writing system for any language,

    I do not.

    IPA is phonetical, so it is targetted toward the real languages, that is,
    the spoken ones.

    Writing systems, on the contrary, emphasis about the written languages,
    whose function is not to describe how people dialogate (as does normal
    linguistics and hence IPA), but rather to enable them to share ideas with
    the largest audience, which is a pretty different intent.
    With "large" here meaning all of space, time and education-wise.

    > if one consider only the signs needed to write a particular language.

    But the various "dialects" of a language may share a common orthography and
    a writing system in general, yet using quite different spoken languages and
    hence varying subsets of the IPA character set (particularly when they are
    compared between themselves.)

    Antoine