Re: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 02:02:47 CDT

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Is there a font that contains a glyph for "H" with line under?

    The SBL BibLit font (due out later this year) will contain a glyph for this, since it is
    something that has been explicitly requested for semitic transliteration. I will probably
    provide fallback mark-to-base and mark-to-mark positioning too, in case users have
    diacritic combinations that are not supported in the font using independent glyphs. Fonts
    for scholarly work are likely to be among the first to provide extensive support for
    dynamic and chained mark positioning.

    > I created a trivial demo document for testing how Web browsers deal with
    > this:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/h.html
    > It contains just H̱ in large font size, so that it can be tested
    > using different fonts just by changing the browser's default font.
    > Internet Explorer 6 usually shows just "H" followed by a rectangle...

    One thing to watch out for in this kind of test is dynamic font switching. Many fonts do
    not contain a glyph for U+0331, so systems or applications may switch fonts to display
    this character. This will, of course, mess up any chance of decent display, because the
    mark from one font will not position correctly on the base from another font. When I
    opened your test page in Firefox, the H was displayed using my default browser font, but
    U+0331 was displayed using the Tahoma system font.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com