Re: French accented letters

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 17:00:23 CDT

    On 2005.09.21, 03:19, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >> As Bringhurst say: "Neither typographers nor their tools should labor
    >> under the sad misapprehension that one will ever mention crępes
    >> flambées or aďoli, no one will have a name like Antonín Dvorák, Sřren
    >> Kierkegaard, Stéphane Mallarmé or Chloë Jones, and no one will live in
    >> Óbidos or Ĺrhus, in Kromeríž or Řster Vrĺ, Pruhonice or Nagykorös,
    >> Dalasýsla, Kirkagaç or Köln." (The elements of typographic style,
    >> version 2.4, page 90)

    Is it because I have lived in both Óbidos and Ĺrhus (and been to Köln and
    Nagykorös) that I find this quote, however humurous in its intentions, to
    be deeply unsettling and offensive?

    Apparently "typographers" and even "one" can only exist if they are native
    English speakers. I feel… fictional! I want to shout «Hello, we're here —
    we use diacriticals and yet we do exist!» Some internationalization. :-(

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Năo me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |