Lithuanian Characters with Diacritics

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 10:59:57 CST

    Mike, Colleagues:

    The issue of specific UCS/Unicode support for the Lithuanian characters
    resurfaced at the CEN/ISSS CDFG (The Cultural Diversity Focus Group of
    the Information Society Standardization System of CEN, the European
    Standards Organization), which is also a Liaison Member of Unicode.
    For this purpose, the meeting was attended by two representatives of the
    Lithuanian Language Institute as guests.

    The request was to have all of these characters encoded as precomposed
    characters, to which end a resolution was proposed (but was not voted
    on). I took it upon me to explain, how and why their legitimate
    requirements to have their unique national alphabet recognized
    internationally could and should be met with the means already
    available. This, however, entails that we should add the list of these
    named characters (which I already have) and their decomposed encoding
    sequences to the standard as soon as possible, i.e. in AMD 3.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the time to work on this right now, but I'd
    hope to be able to prepare a contribution well before the WG2 meeting.

    They also have a need to specify their unique font processing variants,
    mainly when combining the acute with the letter i, where the acute will
    not replace the dot but will be added to it.

    I'd hope that this advance request and the forthcoming contribution will
    receive a positive reaction from both SC2/WG2 and UTC.

    Sincerely,

    Erkki

    Erkki I. Kolehmainen
    Coordinator, Cultural Diversity Issues in ICT
    Reseach Institute for the Languages of Finland (RILF),
    Representing SFS at SC2 and CEN/ISSS CDFG, Liaison to Unicode