Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 18:41:30 CDT

    From: "Cristian Secară" <orice@secarica.ro>
    > On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:52:53 +0200, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >> Given the average lifetime of mobile phones of about 3 years (which
    >> depends mostly on its battery, one of the most expensive part of it),
    >> Idon't think it's too late.
    >
    > It's to late because users have already habituated with this particular
    > situation.

    I really don't think so. This situation is born from deficiencies in the early types of mobile phone. They are improving, and lots of people really hate the "SMS language"; this situation desserves the interests of mobile phone companies that could extend their market by offering better alternative to this "old" usage. (Not very old in fact).

    When more users will use amore acceptable orthography, because of improvements in the mobile phone input system, the "SMS language" users will become a minority, and let's hope they will convert back to normal language, and will want a better support of their own language.

    The SMS-language-mania should evolve into a more normal situation where it will be used only in some areas where it doesn't matter much, like for emails and online forums where normal orthographies are now expected and the "SMS language" is banned.