Re: Vietnamese (Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones)

From: Mike Ayers (mayers@celequest.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 13:00:26 CDT

    Donald Z. Osborn wrote:
    > Is there a good current summary of the current usage of Vietnamese in
    > Unicode
    > (and related issues such as whether and to what extent the old VIQR
    > [VIetnamese
    > Quoted-Readable] is still used)?

            VIQR is predominant for legacy reasons in person to person
    communication, but published works seem to prefer Unicode to VISCII
    these days. I have not, however, formally researched the matter.

    > Is there any discussion of the old topic of precomposed characters for the
    > various diacritical combinations used in writing Vietnamese.

            It is my understanding that such an idea has been categorically
    rejected. Rendering systems generally handle multiple diacritics well
    these days, so precomposed characters tend to be unnecessary.

    > I ask as
    > there is
    > still interest in this issue among some experts working with African
    > languages
    > and ICT. Not wanting to open a debate on this, I just wondered what
    > people are
    > (or are not) discussing.

            As far as Vietnamese is concerned, I believe it's all moot point by
    now. All they seem to need is a good IME and some time.

            HTH,

    /|/|ike