Re: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 17:45:23 CDT

    Richard Wordingham wrote:

    > And why should one presume it would appear adscript? For example, in
    > Gentium it appears adscript with a capital alpha, eta or omega, but
    > subscript with a capital iota, upsilon or 'A'.

    That's because for the Alpha, Eta and Omega the sequence is being mapped to the
    precomposed combination of uppercase plus adscript iota in a buffered character
    substitution in e.g. Uniscribe. Precomposed combinations do not exist for uppercase Iota
    or Upsilon plus adscript iota because these sequences are not standard the polytonic Greek
    orthography. The font could perform a glyph substitution of subscript to adscript iota
    following any uppercase letter to cover these exceptional usaes (my Biblical Greek font
    will) but Gentium does not.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com