RE: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 18:41:08 CDT

    John Hudson in reply to Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > > And why should one presume it would appear adscript? For example, in
    > > Gentium it appears adscript with a capital alpha, eta or omega, but
    > > subscript with a capital iota, upsilon or 'A'.
    >
    > That's because for the Alpha, Eta and Omega the sequence is
    > being mapped to the
    > precomposed combination of uppercase plus adscript iota in a
    > buffered character
    > substitution in e.g. Uniscribe. Precomposed combinations do
    > not exist for uppercase Iota
    > or Upsilon plus adscript iota because these sequences are not
    > standard the polytonic Greek
    > orthography. The font could perform a glyph substitution of
    > subscript to adscript iota
    > following any uppercase letter to cover these exceptional
    > usaes (my Biblical Greek font
    > will) but Gentium does not.

    I think that all these changes of subscript to adscript *by the font*
    is a bad idea. Such changes should be done at the character level,
    not the glyph level.

    (And, if I understood right, uppercasing a lowercase (Greek) letter with
    subscript iota, should really be the corresponding uppercase letter
    with a *subscript* iota, except in not-so-common circumstances.)

            /kent k