Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 05:01:53 CDT

    On 11/08/06, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > That's true for almost all newly encoded characters. It'll be a while
    > before you can assume most users have a font that supports N'Ko or
    > Phags-Pa.

    Yes, I thought about that, but there is a big difference between
    general purpose symbols and specific scripts. If you have a web page
    with Phags-pa text, it is quite reasonable to specify a particular
    Phags-pa font in the stylesheet and ask the reader to download and
    install that font in order to view the Phags-pa text (you can safely
    asume that if they are interested in reading Phags-pa they will be
    happy to go the trouble of installing a special font). On the other
    hand, if you are putting a padlock or external link symbol on your
    page that you hope everyone will be able to see, it is not reasonable
    to ask casual visitors to your site to download a particular font.

    Andrew