RE: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov (ruszlan@ather.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 17:32:20 CST

    > I should point out also that corporate logos are copyrighted artwork
    > and there are legal restrictions on their use. Apple, for example,
    > discourages the presence of the Apple logo in fonts other than our own
    > and the use of the logo except in Apple-produced products.

    Ok, if Apple (or Microsoft for that matter) wants to enforce such policy, fine.
    Never mind the inconvenience it creates for round trip compatibility with their own
    charsets or for simply referring to "Apple" ("Windows") Menu or "Apple" ("Windows")
    Key in texts (notably software documentation). That was a side point anyway.

    > I assume you know that ZWJ and ZWNJ are already defined as having the
    > use such as you describe.

    Did I miss canonical decomposition mappings for precomposed ligatures then?

    > I assume you therefore also know that the ligatures which are in Unicode
    > right now are there mostly for round-trip compatibility.

    Legacy is legacy - we might not like it, but we have to live with it. However, it's
    a shame most supposedly-Unicode-compatible software seems to be unable to render
    even combining diacritics properly, much less decomposed ligatures.

    > (And I should also point out that using ZWJ and ZWNJ to control ligation gives
    > typographers the heebie-jeebies.)

    Surely, decomposed ligatures don't present more problems for typographers then any
    NFD sequence (not to mention Indic and Arabic scripts).

    Ruszlan.