Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 18:14:15 CST

    On Jan 25, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Ruszlan Gaszanov wrote:

    >> (And I should also point out that using ZWJ and ZWNJ to control
    >> ligation gives
    >> typographers the heebie-jeebies.)
    >
    > Surely, decomposed ligatures don't present more problems for
    > typographers then any
    > NFD sequence (not to mention Indic and Arabic scripts).

    The problem is the implication that ligature control belongs in plain
    text. By and large, for Latin it doesn't. For Latin, it doesn't make
    much sense to specify ligature formation involving certain characters
    in the absence of information on what font is being used. Some fonts,
    like Courier, will typically have no or very few ligatures. Other
    fonts, such as Zapfino, will have huge ligature repertoires.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com