RE: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov (ruszlan@ather.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 18:32:46 CST

    John H. Jenkins wrote:

    > The problem is the implication that ligature control belongs in plain
    > text. By and large, for Latin it doesn't. For Latin, it doesn't make
    > much sense to specify ligature formation involving certain characters
    > in the absence of information on what font is being used. Some fonts,
    > like Courier, will typically have no or very few ligatures. Other
    > fonts, such as Zapfino, will have huge ligature repertoires.

    Obviously, if the font doesn't have the proper glyph, it can either display some
    fallback glyph(s) or display nothing. For ligatures, the obvious "fallback" behavior
    is, of course, to display separate glyphs. What bugs me however, is that in most
    cases even sequences like <a ZWJ e> and <o ZWJ e> are rendered as separate glyphs,
    even though the vast majority of fonts *does* have proper glyphs for those.

    Ruszlan.