Re: Devanagari composing help needed

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 13:08:11 CDT

    William J Poser wrote:

    > I run Firefox under Linux and have problems with various Indic scripts,
    > For example, in Firefox 2.0 under Linux both Devanagari and Gurmukhi
    > fail to get the ordering right with short /i/. I think that I have
    > heard that this is due to Firefox 2 not using Pango and that it
    > will be fixed in Firefox 3.

    That sounds likely. The browser will need to make use of some text layout engine that
    understands Indic script requirements and can communicate with the layout features and
    lookups in the font. Under Windows, Firefox makes use of the system Uniscribe engine.
    Under Linux it will need to plug in to Pango or ICU.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com